COPY-PASTE THE CHECK-LIST BELOW AND PRINT IT OUT.
Once you are done with your essay, re-read and make sure you have done the following:
- 1st paragraph: re-write the topic sentences by rephrasing it (writing it with your own words, or by changing it a bit)
- 1st paragraph: say why is important or mention both opinions (Many people believe….. Others, however….)
- 2nd paragraph: develop the points given in the question. - Include relevant details to support the main idea: these might include examples, rhetorical question or surprising statements...
- 3rd Add your own idea (ALWAYS a different idea). Don't forget to give an example. If you include a drawback, give a possible solution.
- 4th Summarise and give your personal opinion
Also remember to:
- Use a semi-formal tone.
- use linking adverbials or expressions to link ideas.
- Organise your writing clearly into paragraphs.
How to use a Check-listsA.
1. After collecting the essay and before doing any corrections get students to swap writings.
2. Hand-out a checklist sheet and get students to read and tick.
3. Then ask them to take back their writing and help them edit and add the missing points.
1. Hand-out the checklist sheet and assign homework
2. Remind SS to check the list while writing the essay
3. Collect essays, correct and check if students have used all points.
4. Give essays back and encourage students to add missing points.
I hope you've found this idea helpful. Give it a go and let me know how it goes. Also, if you have more ideas on how to get them revisit and spend more time on writing please feel free to comment below :)