Saturday, April 23, 2016

Gaming: Clash Royale



Quite recently I've realised that the only way to get my students enjoy learning English outside the classroom is through gaming. Games like Minecraft, Clash Royale can get your students to learn and improve their vocabulary outside classroom. There are so many advantages to Gaming. When I first thought of this post I wanted to list so many benefits but I'm going to stick to the most important ones: 

Benefits of Virtual Gaming
  • Vocabulary learning can be significantly improved.
  • Writing skills can also increased significantly.
  • Gaming can help in motivating students to engaged in activities relating to the learning of a second language 
  • MOST IMPORTANTLY: LEARNERS LOVE IT!
In this posts I have also included an activity on Clash Royale. STEP 1: I think that you should first download the game yourself, just to get a general idea what is it like and you never know,  you just might like it :) . STEP 2:  Get your students to change the game's language to English.
Step 3: Let them know that soon you'll have an activity on Clash Royale and they should learn the names of their cards (in English of course!)


DOWNLOAD THE WORKSHEET HERE

 Activity 1:
Before: Divide students into pairs. Ask them, to come up with as many cards as possible. Go through the cards and help them with pronunciation.
Activity 1: Give Ss two minutes to complete Activity 1 individually and then check in pairs.



Activity 2: 
Before: Check the meaning of the underlined words.

Activity 2: Allow 3-4 for students to complete the sentences and then ask them to check in pairs.

Activity 3: 
Before: Tell students that now they should think of their strategy and write few sentences about it. Then, they're going to present their strategy in the class. *if you are allowed to use mobiles you can get them to demonstrate their strategy. 
Activity 3: Allow 6-7 minutes and help students with vocabulary. Encourage them to use words and expression from Activity 2. 
After: Students take turns to present their strategy and vote for the best one at the end of the presentations.




Hope you enjoy this post :)

6 comments:

  1. Hi Stella, this is a fantastic idea and I can't wait to try it out with my classes. I'd like to download the worksheets but I don't have the decryption key, could you post it please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments and really sorry about that I thought it wasn't with a key!! Give it a go now and let me know if is not working. Also let me know how did the activity go. Have fun with it :)

      Delete
  2. I am also hoping to get the decryption key. Thanks for putting together such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments and really sorry about that I thought it wasn't with a key!! Give it a go now and let me know if is not working. Also let me know how did the activity go. Have fun with it :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Hey this is a very nice, very well done post, I congratulate you sir cause it's so amazing I cannot believe my ass.
    Check out my stuff to, im sure you'll like it too!

    My book

    The live proof

    ReplyDelete